Review of Quad Reissue

New Quad; the good, the bad, and the ugly:

First overall impressions, then a track-by-track analysis:

OVERALL:  Somewhat "brighter" sounding than the older Quad CD.  The vocals
          have been pulled forward in the mix it seems.  Not as dramatic an
          improvement as the reissued Tommy.  The packaging is nicely done.
          The booklet could have, like the other reissues, told something of
          the story behind the album.

THE REAL ME:  Drums are more resonate.  The bass is a bit less encompassing
              than before.  At 1:12 Astly omitted one of Roger's "Can you
              see?" lines.

QUADROPHENIA:  Noticeable distortion behind synthesizer from 4:17-5:00.  At
               5:50 clear background street noise.  I'll admit I never
               noticed the sound of the car driving away before.

CUT MY HAIR:  Pete's vocal sounds somewhat different than the old CD; softer.
              Guitar notes are softer, quieter.  Sort of muffled overall.

PUNK MEETS THE GODFATHER:  2:41-2:49 subtle synthesizer notes are more
                           noticeable.

I'M ONE:  Clearer sounding than old CD.  Pete's vocal pulled forward somewhat,
          less echo.

THE DIRTY JOBS:  Synthesizer chord at 1:06 stands out now and sounds good.
                 Never really noticed it before.  Also, Astly omitted the
                 three honks or whoops at 2:46-2:49.  They're not there now.

HELPLESS DANCER:  No difference.

IS IT IN MY HEAD?:  Synthesizer "squiggle" at 0:15-0:22 more noticeable.  Nice
                    separation of instruments at 2:12-2:28.

I'VE HAD ENOUGH:  Dull sounding!  Muddled!  The bass, synthesizer, banjo, and
                  electric guitar are all buried.  Pete's vocal is clearer,
                  but less powerful.

5:15:  Starts good, gets worse.  Piano is clearer.  At 0:42 are never before
       heard distant sounding spikes of resonate synthesizer chords.  Horns
       less powerful.

SEA AND SAND:  The electric guitar is buried.  Vocals are pulled forward a
               bit.  Duller sounding than old CD.  Disappointing.

DROWNED:  Electric guitar buried.

BELL BOY:  Gong at 1:45 and 4:23 is pronounced now and very good.

DR. JIMMY:  Electric guitar buried.  Bass brought forward a bit on this one.
            At 3:08-3:17 never before noticed upbeat horns.  Generally a
            brighter sounding mix.  Piano is buried though.  I like the
            hissing/growling/wobbling synthesizer at the very end.

THE ROCK:  No difference.

LOVE REIGN O'ER ME:  Drums a bit muddled through the entire song.  Synthesizer
                     is cleaner sounding than before.  Bass barely audible.
                     Acoustic guitar buried.  Disappointing.

Enjoy,

Kreg Walvoord
Kreg.Walvoord@Alcon.alc.org