Re: Live Aid

sharkbait@JUNO.COM (Mike Schmidt) writes:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 1996 00:46:11 -0500 (EST) "Anthony J. Rzepela"
> <RZEPELA@allegheny.edu> writes:

>> As for Zep's set, I wouldn't be too hard on Mark Goodman (the dork
>> who stepped all over Zep's intro) - Zeppelin took a LONG time
>> to get their <Picard> together, and I suppose his training kicked
>> in reflexively, to avoid dead air.

> Is that your head I saw bobbin' up and down in front of Mark? All along,
> I thought it was his knee. You just don't know (Zep)! Some Mtv airhead
> you are.

Um, whatever. I'm basing my forgiveness on watching the
tape of the MTV proceedings, not my personal memory.

Phil Collins does his rile-'em-up intro of Page, Plant,
and Jones, the curtains part, and then we (the TV viewers)
sit there, in silence, as they futz and talk on stage,
and there's little else going on. Whatever you may think of MG's
profession, he behaved professionally.

My personal memory: I don't recall the dead air, I didn't
have to listen to inane VJ chatter, I wasn't close enough
to see that Jimmy Page was the color of rotten meat;
Zeppelin sounded terrific, and there wasn't much more
that I could have asked for in the world than to have them back
together doing "Rock and Roll".

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

ObWho: the large (full-page) ad in the Summer double-issue of
       Rolling Stone for HBO's showing of the Prince's Trust
       on July 14 says _explicitly_ that they are only doing
       "highlights" from the 'Quadrophenia' set. Now, finding out
       HBO has allotted 2 hours max for the whole thing,
       I think 20 minutes of the Who is a realistic prediction.

++Tony "I dropped HBO anyway..." Rzepela