Re: yet more questions

-- [ From: Thomas G. Farrell Jr. * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

NP:  Who, "Water"

Extremus@aol.com,

	Ready for a little scandalous rumor-mongering?
	I'm by no means an expert on guitar playing, but a good friend of mine,
who played guitar professionally for many years, suspects, having
watched Townshend closely, that in the last years of the Who, Pete's
hand didn't actually come close to the strings when he did his windmill
schtick, and that the sound Pete created when he did the windmill came
from his LEFT hand, and the guitar's sustain.  In other words, Pete was
faking the windmill, and using a little controlled feedback to make it
sound like he was hitting the strings when doing that windmill schtick.
Pete's windmill was a ruse.
	If this is true, perhaps Pete started faking the windmill sound
because he kept injuring his hand when he actually HIT the strings.
Btw, ever notice that despite the violent speed of that windmill, Pete
seldom broke strings?  I mean, at least in the videos and photographs
I've seen he doesn't.  I'd have thought that Pete's windmill would have
broken strings constantly....
	Every good wish--Tom Farrell