Re: Monterey Pop Festival-Exact Location?

>     Yeah, I know the Monterey Pop Festival was held in Monterey,
>California.   I spent many fine years in the Monterey Bay area and loved it
>immensely.  But what I want to know is, where in or around Monterey was it
>actually held?  The obvious choices for me would be Laguna Seca or the
>Monterey County Fairgrounds (neither of which is in the city of Monterey).
>I thought I remember someone on the list saying they actually went to the
>festival.  Since Monterey is about 2 hours south of San Francisco, why was
>it decided to have the concert there?  Was there something EXTRA special
>about Monterey back then?

Tim:

It was held at the Monterey County Fairgrounds. The Who played on Sunday,
June 18th.
The reason for using this particular place is the annual Monterey Jazz
Festival. THIS was the first (and only, as far as I know) Monterey Pop Festival.
PS I wasn't there. I WISH I had been there...

             Cheers                       ML