Monterey Pop Festival-Exact Location?

     Yeah, I know the Monterey Pop Festival was held in Monterey,
California.   I spent many fine years in the Monterey Bay area and loved it
immensely.  But what I want to know is, where in or around Monterey was it
actually held?  The obvious choices for me would be Laguna Seca or the
Monterey County Fairgrounds (neither of which is in the city of Monterey).
I thought I remember someone on the list saying they actually went to the
festival.  Since Monterey is about 2 hours south of San Francisco, why was
it decided to have the concert there?  Was there something EXTRA special
about Monterey back then?
     Tim

* Tim Herrlinger                       EMail  herrlingert@cofc.edu    *
* Grice Marine Biological Laboratory   Office Phone (803) 762-5652    *
* University of Charleston             FAX          (803) 762-5110    *
* 205 Fort Johnson Road                Home Phone   (803) 884-8304    *
* Charleston, SC 29422                                                *