Re: monterey festival

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Eric M. Nordberg wrote:
> I know the who played at the monterey festival, aswell as jimi hendrix,
> janis joplin and other greats.  Also, there is rumored to be a boxed set
> from the festival 3 or a 4 disker.  Does anyone know
> what is on it?  Both who stuff and other?
> thanks

[Lev takes an ill-advised break from finals:]

While I wouldn't call Janis Joplin a 'great', there is not only rumored
to be a box set of the Monterey International Pop Festival, but such a
product actually exists.  It is a 4-disc box released by Rhino and
includes five songs from the Who, as well as quite a few songs by Jimi,
Janis, Mamas&Papas, etc.  Also featured (in no particular order):  Ravi
Shankar, Butterfield Blues Band, Steve Miller, The Animals, Otis Redding,
Booker T & The M.G.'s, etc., as well as countless others I don't remember
and don't have the patience to bend down and look up.  Anyway, it's a
yellow box set, bright yellow, very bright yellow, with a purple band
around it.  Walk over to the box sets section of your favorite record
store, you can't miss it.  About $55-60 new and $35-40 used.  Probably
slightly cheaper at a Rhino Records store (if you live in L.A. or New York).

--LP.