Re: Tommy, the movie

Gary:
}>   I don't know why people keep on knocking the movie "Tommy"
}
ML:
}I think that, more than anything else, Tommy (the movie) got too caught up
}in the time...the end of the "Glitter" Rock, or Glam Rock (if you prefer)
}phase of Rock fashion. It has that look. Which makes it rather less than
}timeless. Actually, I've always called the movie "TOMMY on acid."

People seem to forget that "Tommy" was a film made by KEN RUSSELL!  This
carries its own load of baggage...  Russell has made some very, shall we
say, "individualistic" movies in his time, and "Tommy" certainly has his
stamp on it.  (I saw "The Devils", Russell's version of "The Devils of
Loudon" [which memory suggests was written by one of the Huxleys?], at
the student cinema in university.  At the end of the show, someone came
out and apologized for showing reel three before reel two.  And here I
had just thought it was a weird movie, with lots of flashbacks...)

Some of the performances aside, some of the story line aside, any other
reservations aside, one thing has always stood out in my memory:  "Tommy"
was a visually *stunning* movie.  In both senses.

Plus I actually got to see John Entwistle playing some incredible bass
runs, right in front of my eyes, in Amazing Panavision (or whatever)!