Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 18

   Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 18:40 EST
   From: mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)
   Subject: Re: Re[2]: The Hidden Entwistle

   >I really enjoy the QUAD soundtrack and wish the entire original could have
   >been released. THE REAL ME from the s'track blows away the 73 original,
   >IMHO, because of the more distinctive bass.  However, I find the bass remix
   >on ICSFM from Max. BBC to be annoying because it's too much in front, like
   >being hit over the head with it.

   Jim:

   Well, here we differ. We both love QUAD, but I prefer the original mix. To
   me, the soundtrack is just "what if" John had been mixed higher. On the Gold
   Disk of QUAD (at least), John's bass is powerful enough for me.
   I should have also mentioned that the same version of ICSFM is on SINGLES
   (which is actually the first place I heard it...and thought it was the mono
   mix Pete has raved about in the past...and I wasn't impressed by).

       Cheers                       ML

I've always thought it would be great to have the *sound* of the soundtrack's
bass applied to the *performance* of the original.  John apparently
re-recorded most of the bass parts for the soundtrack, probably because that
was the only way to get the trebly sound he wanted.  But for the most part, I
like the bass lines in the original better.

I really like some of the alternative mixes on the soundtrack -- I'm One with
Pete's vocals mixed "dry" and with the piano part; the strings in I've Had
Enough.  That isn't to say I like them better than the original, just that
they're interesting in their own right.  It really highlights the creative
role that recording plays in rock music (unlike a lot of other musical
genres).

I wonder what Dirty Jobs or Cut My Hair would have sounded like with
drastically different mixes?  (Boy would I love to be locked in a control room
for a day with the multitrack master...)

Ken