Re[2]: The Hidden Entwistle

          Kreg, Mark, re:

>As we know, John isn't too pleased with the level his bass gets in the
>albums. He leaped at the chance to revamp QUADROPHENIA (for the
>soundtrack), which amounted to enhancing his bass. He did the same for I
>Can See For Miles for the BBC (on the Max BBC boot).

I really enjoy the QUAD soundtrack and wish the entire original could have
been released. THE REAL ME from the s'track blows away the 73 original,
IMHO, because of the more distinctive bass.  However, I find the bass remix
on ICSFM from Max. BBC to be annoying because it's too much in front, like
being hit over the head with it.

>So I don't think it's the way he plays or the setting on his bass. More
>likely it has to do with the vision of the producer for the songs. Keep in
>mind that as innovative as The Who were, there were still limited by the
>people working around them...and the standard practices of the time (even
>Lambert, who was sort of working in the dark...I would imagine that he
>leaned heavily on the engineers present for the mix).

          Absolutely. Entwistle was a trend setter and that isn't easy
          to be. He got more respect from producers as things went on,
          but not much. I would imagine that it would be Entwistle
          who'd really be pushing for live releases because it was
          live that he truly made his mark because of his ability to
          switch from being a rhythm to a lead instrument. Any
          comment, Fang?

          --Jim