The Hidden Entwistle

I've been a Who fan for years and have been frustrated by the fact
that the cameras, in various videos and concert footage over the
years, are rarely on Entwistle.  It seems the camera operators just
naturally gravitate their lenses toward Daltry and Townshend.  I
enjoy watching Pete play, but I'd like to see more of what John is
doing.  A few examples come to mind.  In the video for You Better,
You Bet, the camera is solely on John for maybe 10-15 seconds during
that video.  There are other shots of him, but they are usually shots
of Roger or Pete with a blurry John standing in the background.
Another example would be the few seconds of the skeleton jump suit
in the Max R&B Live video.  Also, almost all of the Monterey footage
I've seen is practically devoid of John, even when he is singing.

A second aspect of the hidden Entwistle must have something to do
with record production.  On a lot of Who songs it is difficult to
hear the bass guitar.  Maybe it has something to do with the way John
plays, or the settings on his bass, or the fact that Who's bass was
often the lead instrument.  Maybe its just record production.  I'm
not sure why, but I just wish the bass were easier to hear on certain
songs.  Bargain is a good example of this.  I'm sure he's playing
bass notes all over the place, but I have to strain to make it out.

I'll just have to go to his show when John comes to Texas in order to
get my fill of his bass playing.  Saw a listing for Houston, but
what about Dallas or San Antonio?

Does anyone agree that there is a hidden Entwistle?

Kreg Walvoord
KregW@Alcon.acu.edu