In it for the money?

>Both Daltrey and especially PT have been pretty upfront for almost 17 =
>years now that they are doing what they are doing pretty much for the =
>money. When asked why he agreed to do the '89 tour by several magazines =
>that I saw, PT repeatedly said that he hated the idea but that =
>(paraphrasing) "I discussed it with my accountants and they convinced me =
>that if I went on tour America would send me home a very rich man" =
>(quote) "and that's a good feeling".

Ahhh but remember we must always take what Pete says with a grain of salt.  I
remember another interview he did in a Guitar magazine around 1990 where he says
something to the effect that he came up with the idea of doing the '89 thing
simply as a way of keeping the music alive - seemed he was afraid it would be
forgotten. Certainly the interview implied that the money was not a big
motivator (initially at least) for Pete but that it was for Bill Curbishley
(Pete made some comment that Bill's first response was that he could buy a new
yacht!).

Also, I spoke with Richard Barnes once about why the '89 tour never came to
Australia.  He said that Bill Curbishley wanted to do an Australasian leg but
Pete said no - Richard commented that Pete just wasn't greedy enough.

Regards,
Denis.