Leslie West revisited and question for musicians on the listSun Dec 7 13:17:06 PST 1997

A couple of months ago there was a discussion about West playing on Who's
Next. Below is an exerpt from an article that appeared in Guitar Shop,
Summer 1994 which featured a blurb about West's involvement with Who's Next:

While discussing Live and Dodgin' the Dirt - his ferocious new concert and
studio albums - Leslie West of Mountain and Woodstock fame also casually
mentioned that he played on Won't Get Fooled Again and other sessions for
the Who's legendary Who's Next album, but was taken out of the final mix.
Here's the dirt: "I got a call from Kit Lambert, the Who's manager, and he
said that Pete wanted me to play lead because he didn't want to overdub - he
wanted to get a live 'band sound.' So I played on about four songs, but then
the producer Glyn Johns, didn't think my leads left any room for Pete, so
they were either taken off or copied. Another bummer is that around this
same time, I gave Pete a Les Paul Jr. that I used in Mountain and a little
tweed Fender Champ, too. The tweed had incredible compression, because it
was all tube and sounded like it was on its last legs all the time. I wanted
to give the guitar to him, but, man, I wish I had that amp back...."

Although I caught this article a little late I thought it was very
interesting .......................

That brings me to another question for all you musicians out there:

What Who songs or albums do you like to jam to? Although a guitar player
myself I love to pull out Quad, crank up the stereo, and let loose on my
friends drum kit (when he is kind enough to leave his kit at my place after
practice). This is also a great album to grind my axe with. Tommy is another
one to bang the kit with as well. How about you folks?????????????

CarlK

ckishel@gateway.opm.com

track records (click) track records (click) track records (click) track
records (click) track records (click)