Marketing

I am continually astounded at the total lack of promotion given to The Who's
releases (in Australia anyway).  When "Who's Better Who's Best" came out in '89
there was a reasonably aggressive campaign with in-store posters, radio
competitions etc - the result being that the album charted.  Since then I have
seen nothing, not a poster, not a flyer, nothing.  I walk in to a record store
and have to duck to avoid inflatable Zeppelins and gaze at walls plastered with
posters advertising the latest releases from the Beatles, Michael Jackson etc
but do I see or hear anything that would make me want to check out what's in the
racks under 'The Who' - no sir.

I firmly believe that some sort of a marketing campaign including TV ads such as
the one suggested by Mark is sorely needed - particularly given that the box set
runs for $100 here - I think the average punter would need some convincing to
part with that sort of money.

I cannot believe that the reissues are selling so well that advertising is not
required.  OK maybe they're selling enough copies to get a return on their
investment but I just can't help feeling that the "powers that be" are missing a
golden opportunity to (a) make more $$ and (b) give The Who the status that we
all seem to agree they deserve but do not have.

Denis.