producers, handlers, et. al

> Perhaps not, but I would have the advantage of not being too close to
> Townshend. This would give me room to work; room that J&C don't have. If I'm
> not friends with Pete at the end, so what? I've lost nothing. They, it can
> be assumed, wouldn't want to threaten their relationship. So I could take
> risks that they dare not.

I think there's a grain of truth here... Remember in the liner notes on
Who's Next (reissue) Townshend kinda groans when he goes in to have Glyn
Johns produce the album.  Yet it turns out great, and there's no arguing
success.  And Townshend went on to use him later...

If someone came in and Townshend allowed him to produce it a
certain way, over, perhaps, his objections, and the end result was great,
it's likely then he'd like the guy's work and continue on using him
... I will say
that that is unlikely anymore... Mebbe so, mebbe not.

JW