Re: bootleg reviewsSun Dec 7 13:17:06 PST 1997

OK, in the vein of keeping things constructive, here are some more
addition to bootlist would be to supply missing information or to
provide additional comments. I'd suggest:

1) Name, issuing label (and any numbers), running time of disc, etc.
2) Track listing as given on CD itself.
3) Actual track listing, if different than 2).
4) Source of recording, including Date and location, on a per-track
   basis if necessary.
5) Sound Quality: Soundboard/audience, and quality rating (e.g.,
   reflection of mix, hiss level, amount of audience clapping, wrong
   speed, etc.).

The sound quality rating is one of the hardest to get right. What
seems to work best here is to come up with ratings for a few
well-known discs, and then use them as a reference. Such a reference
system helps both the reviewer and reader.  Thus, a submission can't
just say "excellent quality", but needs to say something like "better
than XXX, but not as good as XXX" or "comparable to YYY, but more
hiss". The person editing the list would take such comments and assign
a quality rating (e.g., poor, good, very good, etc., and could include
the specific comparisons to other discs as a reference).

This section should be an objective rating of sound quality only,
as opposed to quality of performance itself.

6) General Comments: additional remarks, including comments about the
performance itself (independent of sound quality), availability, cross
references to other boots with overlapping tracks, comments about
which boot is the best quality for a particular recording. In those
cases where folks have differing opinions about a CD, they might go
here as well. E.g., (for live in amsterdam: "widely regarded as the
best quality available complete tommy from that era, but Wfang insists
the mix is so horrible he hates this recording".

Legalize Adulthood! <legalize@xmission.com> writes:

> > Rather than just say "send me updates", I'd suggest putting together a
> > form or template for folks to fill out for each entry in order to try
> > and collect information in a consistent manner.
>
> Have you even looked at the list that is there, RIGHT NOW, carefully?
> Your "suggestion" has been there ever since the list was put up!!

I'd like to encourage a somewhat less-passive approach. Many boots
have been discussed on the list over the past months. The editor
should use such discussions as an opportunity to update an entry. When
a boot is mentioned, if there isn't an entry in the database, post a
message saying one is needed. If one exists, post the current info and
ask if it's accurate or whether more info is needed. Any subsequent
discusion would hopeful address the poster's original question as well
as get the list updated.

> > Here are samples from the u2 and rem lists: [...]
>
> So?  What SPECIFICALLY about them is so superior to what we have now?

IMO, they are better because they are more complete and consistent.
Nothing more, nothing less. Let's work on improving ours.

> Frankly, you're the first person who has ever complained.  There are
> other people on this list with far more knowledge of the individual boots
> than I.  When they have given me feedback on a particular item, I've
> included it.

And I'll admit that I've been just as guilty as other in not sending
updates either, even though I could in some cases. But let's not go
down that rathole. My only goal in starting this thread was to make a
push for "future improvements".

As a concrete example, consider one of the more common boots (and a
must-have at that too, IMO!):

>  9. Live In Amsterdam double (The Swingin' Pig TSP-CD-021, West Germany/Luxembourg) 1989
>    Date: Mon, 3 Oct 94 21:04:36 PDT
>    From: Wes Biggs <wbiggs@chaph.usc.edu>
>    Source: Live at Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, September 29, 1969
>     1. Heaven and Hell (JAE)
>     2. I Can't Explain
>     3. Fortune Teller (Neville)
>     4. Tattoo
>     5. Young Man Blues (Mose Allison)
>     6. Overture
>     7. It's a Boy
>     8. You Didn't Hear It (1921)
>     9. Amazing Journey
>     10. Sparks
>     11. Eyesight To the Blind (The Hawker) (Sonny Boy Williamson)
>     12. Christmas
>     13. The Acid Queen
>     14. Pinball Wizard
>     15. Do You Think It's Alright
>     16. Fiddle About (JAE)
>     17. Tommy Can You Hear Me
>     18. There's a Doctor I've Found
>     19. Go To the Mirror Boy
>     20. Smash the Mirror
>     21. Miracle Cure
>     22. Sally Simpson
>     23. I'm Free
>     24. Tommy's Holiday Camp (KM)
>     25. We're Not Gonna Take It
>     26. Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran, Jerry Capehart)
>     27. Shakin' All Over (Freddie Heath)

There is no mention that this a soundboard recording, no mention that
excerts of the same show are available elsewhere (and which has the
best quality, etc.)

Thomas