Re: bootleg ratingsSun Dec 7 13:17:06 PST 1997

I do realize that you have been doing this on a volunteer basis, and
my goal is not to criticize the work you've been doing.  Rather, it is
to nudge you (and the list) into putting some effort into doing an
overhaul. I have spent a fair amount of time recently looking at your
list, the REM list and also the U2 list ('outofcontrol' somewhere in
ftp://ftp.ms.uky.edu/pub/mailing.lists/u2-list/).  Both of the other
lists are quite a bit more organized and consistent than the who list
and I found the others to be quite a bit more useful in helping me
decide which boots to get (and avoid). Note also that there has been a
lot of traffic on the list these days about specific boots. Those
questions should be directly answerable from the boot list, but they
don't seem to be.

Rather than just say "send me updates", I'd suggest putting together a
form or template for folks to fill out for each entry in order to try
and collect information in a consistent manner. My earlier mail gave
some suggestions. Then, when you update a new entry, post it to the
list (if appropriate) to solicite comments and feedback. And if folks
don't flood you with updates, send out a message every day or two
about one specific CD soliciting feedback.  For example, coming up
with a top ten list of "must have" boots would be useful and fun.

Here are samples from the u2 and rem lists:

OUT OF CONTROL
Sterling Radio Network
SRN 1990-1
(56:17)

     1. The Ocean
     2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
     3. Touch
     4. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
     5. Another Time, Another Place
     6. The Cry/The Electric Co.
     7. Things To Make And Do
     8. Stories For Boys
     9. Twilight
    10. I Will Follow
    11. Out Of Control
    12. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
    13. The Ocean

Source:
    Paradise Theatre, Boston, Massachusetts.  March 6, 1981.

Sound Quality:
    This performance was originally recorded for WBCN-FM radio in Boston.
    It was then pressed as the Warner Brothers Music Show promo LP, "TWO
    SIDES LIVE". It was from a copy of the promo LP, that this CD was
    mastered. As such, vinyl pops and ticks can be heard. There is also a
    skip that repeats about four times during "Things To Make And Do".
    Despite the vinyl source, this is still an excellent soundboard
    recording.

Comments:
    A brilliant early performance that captures most of the first album
    live. "Another Time, Another Place" is played, despite not being listed
    on the cover. Unfortunately, this CD is not indexed, making it
    impossible to quickly jump from track to track.

"Old Man Kensey" - Hallmark (HM 004 CD)
        Recorded: Rock City, Nottingham, UK - November 21, 1984
        Quality:  Excellent (radio show)
        Format:   CD
        Notes:    This CD was mastered from a BBC concert transcription LP
                  which has also been bootlegged on vinyl (less "West of the
                  Fields") under the title "Nottingham."  An abridged version
                  of this concert was recently pressed on CD as a Westwood One
                  radio show ("In Concert") and aired in several markets.  In
                  a humorous moment during this show, Stipe announces that the
                  heel of his boot has come off, and requests (and is given) a
                  new shoe from the audience. Note that there is a boot of a
                  different show with the same title
        Tracks:   Hyena/Talk About the Passion/West of the Fields/
             (Don't Go Back To) Rockville/Auctioneer/So. Central Rain/
             Sitting Still/Old Man Kensey/Gardening at Night/9-9/Windout/
             Driver 8/Pretty Pervasion (sic)/Radio Free Europe/

Thomas