Re: MCA Reissues

On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Brad Gray wrote:
>           Marshall,
>      I have to disagree with you concerning any editing of
> Quadrophenia to make it fit onto one CD.  I think cutting anything
> from this masterpiece would be similar to taking a few inches off one
> of DaVinci's paintings just to make it fit into a frame that looks
> good.  If you took out the sea noises, you would lose a lot of the
> mood that flows through the album.  If MCA does a chop job, I
> definately will not buy their version and I will certainly be one of
> the people writing the hate mail.
>                                    Brad

        If any changes are made to Quadrophenia because of MCA's marketing
strategies, I would completely agree with your DaVinci analogy.  However,
if these changes are Pete Townshend's decision, (I heard from somewhere
that he would like to edit the album) I think we should respect that.
Being an artist, Townshend should have the freedom to produce revised
versions of his own work, and not have to worry about the negative
repercussions from his own fans.  If the record label cuts up the album, I
would be in total alliance with you and not buy the new version.  On the
other hand, if Townshend is responsible for the editing, then I would
definitely buy it, because I like Pete Townshend, and I am interested in
any new direction he takes, no matter how small.
        I grew up with the present version of Quad--it has gotten me
through some of my darkest hours (I'm being very dramatic.)  If changes are
made to it, the only thing we can do is hold on to the original version, or
go to the store and see if any original versions are left.

                                                        Stacey