Dirty laundry

     WhiteFang, re:

     >Without going into too many details, it's not Pete who has the
     >"animosity and bitterness about the group". If he did, he wouldn't be
     >so heavily involved in the reissue process. On the other hand, in
     >Pete's current lifestyle, The Who just doesn't fit. As much as I love
     >The Who, in many ways, I can't blame him...

     >-wf

     As much as I'm a huge fan of the Who and especially Pete and I don't
     want to sound like I'm ragging on Pete, but.....(with apologies to
     Pete, here I go).... it sure sounds like Pete carries more than a bit
     of a grudge with the other members in the band, especially Daltrey.
     In almost every interview about the "old times with the Who" that I've
     read, Pete in his brutally honest fashion really rags about the others
     in the band.

     This attitude can be seen with his "Who Cares" title of the Maximum
     R&B booklet.  As well as his comments in the Max R&B live, about
     Daltrey's "Everly bros" stage persona.  I've also read where he said
     that the other members were "fucking ungrateful" and that "they're
     still fucking ungrateful".  Although this last comment was followed by
     laughter.  He's also been quoted about getting sick and tired of
     Daltrey's bare chested/fringe jacket Woodstock look in the early 70's.
     He's also mentioned how the tension between he and Daltrey that
     existed in the 70's has continued to this day.  He's even gone on to
     mention that with Moon dead, he has "won" the race for fan loyalty.
     Etc, etc. etc.

     I guess the thing to remember about the Who, was that to some extent
     their success was built on incredible energy, outrageousness and band
     member competition and dissonance.  These guys were known to engage in
     fisticuffs at one time.  With the exception of the Ox, each was
     elevated to new heights by trying to outdue or outperform the others.
     I think that this may be no small part of the secret to their success.
     Unfortunately, though, I think this process may have also burned Pete
     out on the Who a bit.

     As the primary writer of Who material, I wonder if Pete's attention to
     the reissue process is more a situation of saving "his" versus "Who"
     material for posterity.

     As far as the Who not fitting in with his current lifestyle,
     unfortunately, I'm sure that this is quite true.  The secret to the
     success of the music of the Who was that Pete would write these really
     sensitive songs like "Behind Blue Eyes" or "Love Reign O'er Me" and
     then he'd give it to a "War Machine" Band (his term for the Who) and
     turn it into a really meaningful kick ass, rock 'n roll tune.  Pete
     still writes great material, but since he's grappling with late
     middle-age, he doesn't seem to stomach the rock'n'roll variations of
     his music anymore. He seems content with "Deep-End Live", or "Pete
     Townshend Live" type of formats now.   'Course Deep-end Live is one of
     my favorite Townshend solo efforts, but given the choice between a
     great new solo album and a great new Who album. I'd take the new Who
     album in a second.

     I don't think that a Who album in the nineties would have the
     synergism of a LAL, this only comes from constant practice/gig work.
     But it wouldn't surprise me if they could cut an album of the quality
     of say Who Are You.

     But I don't think it will ever happen. However one interprets it, the
     fact remains that Pete considers the Who a retired band for all
     intents and purposes.

     All of the above is only my humble opinion, since my only interaction
     (one-way interaction, hmmm I guess this is an oxymoron) with the band
     is through the media I'm sure it's been heavily tainted. White Fang,
     since you have more direct contact with the principles involved, I
     would be very much interested to hear your opinions and viewpoints.

     -Mark