Re: No Subject

>>According to the back of the CD, it says "Studio Recordings
>>1970".  That right there (though false) would raise interest since Who's
>>Next was recorded in May 1971.
>
>A) Bootlegs aren't the most reliable source of information. B) My first
>assumption on this, was that they were Pete Townshend demos. C) See A.

Regardless I think it struck some interest, plus the additional Leeds cuts.

>>>I would think that after owning the second generation MCA LP's and their
>CD's that the songs needed improvement.  You would think that if they went
>back to the original masters (not what you hear on many of the previous MCA
>material) that you would hear songs in close to their original state,
>hopefully a cleaner version which means better.  Even the new Quick One is
>cleaner which is a definate improvement, I just don't like the mixes.  I al
>so
>realize that this isn't Astley's fault since he was working with what he
> had.
>

>"Original state"? I have all the "original state" stuff.

That's fine and dandy, but some of us don't have easy access to find stores
that would sell the originals.  And since I never really had any connection
with other Who fans (until two years ago with this list) I didn't know that
the original Decca's actually meant something against the crappy MCA
reissues.  And now that MCA is taking a serious look at this material it's a
little too late.

Some of the new CD
>stuff sounds better, some doesn't. As for "A Quick One", the 1st issue UK
> CD
>sounds better than the recent issue. It's pure mono and it's clean.

Ok, how did you know that the UK version would be better?  Did you buy the
US version and say "this sucks, I'm going to buy the polygram version to
compare?"  But since you could judge this against the original Decca it's a
little easier.

>What Jo
>had to work with was a lot better than what we got. And, what we got was a
>matter of "choice"...

I thought Astley was using the mono tapes because Kit Lambert apparently
lost the stereo tapes in Italy.  Now I hear that they were "discovered"?
Clear this up about the rumor on the re re done Quick One?

>>> Obscure material is one thing, it's when you seek out the same exact
> album
>from some other part of the world that it gets a little redundant.
>
>That's not what you previously said. As for redundancy, there are merits...
>for example, "The Who Sell Out" from Austrialia has Keith with Clearisil
>instead of Medac.

That is what I previously said.  My original post made a tongue in cheek
remark about buying some weird mono/stereo mix of Magic Bus.  I also said
that you don't need to spend tons of money on one rock band to really
understand their music. In fact in doing your collecting you might forget
what the music was really about and focus on what version or variation you
own and lose touch with the real importance; the music itself.  Maybe that's
you, maybe it's not I don't know.  I know it's happened to me, where the
thrill of buying a CD on a spur of the moment thought just to have it
overcame what the music was all about. Then when you get home it's "huh?".
When I walk into Tower, I go to buy one CD and come out with seven.  I can
imagine the high you got when you bought ICE for $200.  I understand now.

"I'm pissed off, I'm pissed off all the time" ---Ray Rhodes