Re: The Who Vs The Rest

>>But you will admit, I think, the relationships between Friends and Four
>>Sticks, Celebration Day and The Song Remains The Same, Tangerine and Over
>>The Hills And Far Away, SIBLY and I'm Gonna Crawl (OK, that was a cheap
>>one), Out On The Tiles and Custard Pie.
>>
>I all of your connections are stretches.  Friends and Four Sticks, how?

The mellotron (I suppose) and vocals behind "Met a man on the roadside
crying..." and (in Four Sticks) "Oh baby, how do you feel..." for the most
obvious connection. Both begin as very simple songs and build to this
part...then have Plant singing very high over the ominous-sounding (for lack
of a better term) background.

>>>If you really want to point out where exactly the Who are clearly heard on
>>>LZ II (because I want to be proven wrong)  show me.

>>Songs that reflect The Who on Zep II: Whole Lotta Love (especially the
>end:
>>"Way down inside/Woman you need..."), the electric parts of What Is And
>> What
>>Should Never Be ("And the wind won't blow...") & Bring It On Home, and
>>Heartbreaker (not the lead break, of course). The chorus and end of Ramble
>>On ("Now's the time/The time is now...").
>
>Sorry I just don't hear it, as someone else brought this before me and I
>have side with him.

Well, comparing those Zep parts and what the Yardbirds were doing (and of
course, LZ I) it seems that this bombastic chord-driven sound must have come
from somewhere!

>I was going by the sound of Cream as a whole and compared it to how
>Mayall's band sounded at that time.  It had nothing to do with songwriting
>and the song's original authors.

We were talking about Bruce's influence by Mayall. (Why, I no longer recall)
Bruce's songs (the ones he wrote) show no influence by Mayall. Are you
saying that when he played the Blues he was influenced by Mayall because he
once played the Blues with Mayall's band?

>You were going great until you brought this up.  Pete's original demo for
>My Generation sounds nothing of what came to be.  In fact it too sounds a
>lot like the Delta Blues.

Yes, I have it. But that version of My Gen is not what it evolved into,
whereas YRGM was merely sped up.

>If My Gen isn't blues, how were the Who able to make it so during their
'75/'76 >tour?
>It didn't take much, they just slowed it down, dropped the bass solo and
>ending.

They made MG into Blues by drastic alteration. The chords aren't the
same...nothing is the same except the breaks and the lyrics. It's not the
same song, really.

>The songs themselves have nothing to do with pushing rock ahead,
>it was how they were performed.  The Who just happened to make MG into a
>very angry song that wasn't heard before it's time.  But Ray planted the
>seeds.

I believe, after studying the other music of the time, that MG was
revolutionary and unique in its form and structure...it stands alone amongst
a sea of Berry/Blues tunes. YRGM planted the seeds for I Can't
Explain...I'll grant you that...

>BTW you can find YRGM in this form on "To the Bone" I believe, an import
>from last year.

Nope, it's a live standard version on TTB.

            Cheers                     ML

NP: Zeppelin, "Custard Pie"