Re: Entwistle--West Chicago (and set list)

> Many of the "Who Digest" people I have talked to were disappointed in the
show.
> Personally, I'm glad I went.  I wasn't expecting a Who concert. I felt the
vocals were
> awful, and perhaps that is why the volume of the vocals was low.  I feel
you have to
> give Entwistle some leeway---he doesn't have the resources nor the
marketability, nor,
> in all probability, the desire, to turn his tour into a sort of Who
tribute. (As opposed to
> Townshend, who played many Who songs during his PD tour, and they sounded
> great.)  The Who songs were OK, but, again, were hurt tremendously by the
poor
> vocals.  All in all, about what I expected from a 4 piece band in a small
club.

How many Digest people were at this show?  I suppose there could have been
many, given how packed the place was!  I wonder what its capacity is.  The
volume of the vocals was actually louder than at the special dinner in NY
that kicked off the tour, but they were still overpowered by the instruments
so I didn't feel I could judge if they were "poor" or not.  I will say that I
was pleased to see John sing lead on three songs and share the lead on a few
others, and what I could hear sounded surprisingly good and strong--maybe all
those cigarettes haven't ruined his voice completely yet!

My only disappointments were that I was hoping for a longer set and to hear a
couple of his solo songs from 1971-81.  On the other hand, my sister and
brother don't know his solo material so the song selection was fine with
them.  Also, given that there were two bands before John's, my siblings felt
that it made sense that John's band didn't play longer.  My brother, by the
way, is only 17 and we managed to sneak him in to the 21-and-older club.

I don't think anyone has provided the set list, so here it is:

Heaven And Hell (John sang the first couple lines of each verse)
Had Enough       (why wasn't this a regular feature of post-Moon Who
concerts?!)
Success Story
Trick Of The Light (John sang lead)
Bridges Under The Water
The Real Me
Love Doesn't Last
Boris The Spider (John sang lead)
Life After Love
You
Last Song (John provided background vocals)
My Wife (John sang lead)
Long Live Rock

encore:  Summertime Blues (John did his "deep" parts)
            Shakin' All Over (John sang some)

Rich