Who By Numbers

     fang, re:

     >"Who By Numbers" just doesn't do a whole lot for me these days... I
     >remember way back when I first got it, playing "Blue Red & Grey" over
     >and over and such... Maybe I'll appreciate it more when they add the
     >bonus tracks and remix it... I have to say I never liked "Dreaming
     >From The Waist" until I heard the live version from the "box set" and
     >I actually prefer the live version of "Imagine A Man" from "Daltrey
     >Sings Townshend" (or whatever we're calling THAT album this week)...

     As a new member to this list, I guess I should come out of the
     woodwork and say hi to everyone and give my $.02:

     My first Who "album" was LAL which I bought in 8-track form (remember
     those) back in the early '70s.  "Who By Numbers" was never one of my
     all-time favorite Who albums, mainly because I never liked or
     understood the success of "Squeeze Box".  Why could such an incredible
     song such as "Naked Eye" languish in relative obscurity while "Squeeze
     Box" was played on all the stations?  But my opinion has changed the
     last few years about WBN.  I've found it to be one of my favorite Who
     albums.  I particularly like Slip Kid, Dreaming from the waist, and
     blue red and grey.  But no, I still don't like Squeeze Box...

     I also gained new appreciation for "Dreaming from the Waist" after the
     30 years video.  The Live video really brings this song to life... The
     live version really rocks,  I also liked the live video performance of
     "My Wife" and "Sister Disco".  The 'oo was the only group I can think
     of whose records consistantly couldn't touch their live performances.
     I think this is true as late as their last "reunion tour" as it was
     back in the '70s.  Listen to "Dig" from the '89 Join Together album
     versus the Iron Man version.  I never cared for "Dig" until I heard
     the Live Join Together version.

     Makes me wonder what the 'oo live could do with the Psychoderelict
     Material.... alas, if only Townsend would get over his animosity and
     bitterness about the group and cut a new 'oo album... but that's
     another topic....

     -Mark