Re: Who vs. Zep sales

>	Well, there's one other reason Zeppelin needed a lead singer:  Jones
>and Page couldn't sing for shit.  I have a Zep boot on which Jones
>sings SAndy Denny's parts in "Battle of Evermore," and frankly... Jones
>caterwauling borders on cruelty to animals.  The WHo on the other hand
>had Entwistle and Townshend, who could both sing, but not with the
>power of Daltrey.  Townshend's vocals on his solo albums, however, are
>quite impressive in places, especially on "Secondhand Love."

Actually, while Moon disintegrated through the years, and Roger lost a bit
of his old fury, and John stayed about the same (read: the greatest bass
player in the world)...Pete was the only member of the band that got better
and better through the years. Not only his vocals, but his guitarwork...I
was thoroughly impressed with his playing on the `89 tour (when he did play
electric...he's always been an outstanding acoustic player).

>	I understand what you're saying.  Townshend commented once on Roger
>singing YMB, saying in effect that Daltrey got the vocals all wrong,
>which is to say, Daltrey deviates materially from Moses Allison's
>vocals, which are comparatively soft.  Roger's vocal styling on that
>song performed live, with a little help of Pete's ball-busting guitar,
>turned YMB into a ferocious piece of work.

So you see, in the end we agree about this stuff. Sure, it may be that the
humor of my statements didn't come across successfully (wars have started
for less) and I am probably more negative-sounding about Zeppelin than I
really am...you know very well that I am a fan of the band (as if buying a 6
hour "import" boxed set on top of already having some 16 hours of tapes
weren't enough). I can only plead being tired of having Zep shoved in my
face as being better than The Who over and over, when I don't believe that
to be true. You might notice that I stayed out of the debate at first (on
the newsgroup, anyway) and suggested that the original note was posted
merely to start an argument.

               Cheers                    ML

NP: REM, "Radio Free Europe" Athens 11/19/92