Re: The Who Vs The Rest

In a message dated 96-02-09 13:06:09 EST, Shane Matheson writes:

> When you're doing your thing for little money you're an artist, when you're
doing it for a lot of money, you're a sell out.

So Quadrophenia is just a commerical sell out because there was a lot of
money in it and Iron Man is art because it was done with little financial
return?

Why can't artists make tons of money in our society without being accused of
"selling out"?  Imagine if we had the same attitudes toward doctors and
lawyers...

If we were to believe the above statement, then artists such as Michael
Jackson, Madonna, and Phil Collins would be considered sell outs...  Hmmm,
maybe Shane was right!

I don't know much about how the record industry works, but I can't imagine
any member of The Who saying "Lets release The Who's Greatest Hits with the
AM version of Won't Get Fooled Again".  Something tells me it was the record
company.  Actually, weren't "Who's Better Who's Best" and "Who's Last"
released because the The Who quit and still had 2 albums left on their
contract?