Re: Who vs. Zep sales

>thoughts about Zep being influenced by The Who to the extent of having the
>same lineup were just that. As I've often said, when defending The Who
>against The Beatles: It's merely a rumor that they heard TOMMY and knew
> they
>couldn't beat it, so they broke up. I really don't expect anyone to take it
>seriously. Sorry it's not funnier.

Actually I really believe that Paul McCartney felt serious heat from PT's
writing. (and Im not one of our legendary who list member Beatle slammers
becuase they were the first REAL band I liked)  Aside from the now well
known Helter Skelter response to I Can See For Miles, one of Paul's last
comments on the ABC anthology sums it up.

He says that he feels proud that they didn't write songs in a negative
sense.  Now who else is he pointing the finger?  It has to be Townshend.
Pete along with John were great at writing about dark subjects or songs that
were powerful in effect but gloomy nonetheless.  Tommy is not a happy story
is it (as originally conceived)?  I seriously doubt that the Beatles broke
up because the anticipation of the Who's zenith era, but before that they
really didn't have competition.  The Stones were always outclassed by the
Beatles on a songwriting basis.  John Lennon and rest probably didn't care
about other bands in comparison (though they all listened to what was going
on around them) but Paul does seem to show a little jealosy.

"I'm pissed off, I'm pissed off all the time" ---Ray Rhodes