Re: Who vs. Zep

>I have to judge a band like this: performance (The Who knew no rivals here)
>and innovation (a moot point in a Who VS Zep debate) and finally influence
>(and here The Who scores big...with bands like Pearl Jam, The Sex Pistols,
>Green Day, The Clash, and so on and so forth...whereas Zepplin gave us a
>deluge of formula-Rock bands like Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, etc.).

Although The Who are my boys, I have to say that I saw Page and Plant last
night in the Budokan, and shit, they really rocked.  Plant's voice sounded
better than it has in years (he hit the high notes on "Rock & Roll"), and
Page was a lot less sloppy than I expected he'd be.  And, I hate to admit
it, but the extra instruments (strings, Middle Eastern music, etc.) were
used to better effect than the legion of performers who accompanied The Who
in '89 (like I really need to hear keyboards on "Can't Explain" - yeesh).
Anyway, although the Zep boys really pussed out by not taking John Paul
Jones with them on this tour (I think they were afraid to call it Led Zep
after Plant slagged The Who in the press so much last year), I saw a great
performance last night that really made me wish Pete would decide to take
The Who on the road again.  Sigh...

BTW, has anyone heard when the Stones' Rock & Roll Circus will be
officially released, and how much of The Who will be on it?  I hope there's
more than just "A Quick One".

Yoroshiku,

Chris
http://www.trn.or.jp:80/~chris/