Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 37

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, An Illiterate Woodchuck wrote:
> >BTW, heath,m enjoyed your who v. zep dialogue on AMW- i do have to question
> >your statement   that the who's and zep's sales figures are comparable- i
> >think (and always thought) that zep sold more simply because zep released
> >music in a more market oriented approach;
> >the actual number of original titles are close, but the who's catalogue has
> >been deadened by GH, comps, etc. anyone know for sure what he figures are
> >for both?
>
> Thank you... And you may be right about the Zeppelin vs Who sales... But,
> the Who have had more albums make the charts than Zeppelin.  I don't think
> many of Zep's did right out of the gate... And I checked Billboard today...
> The Who have more albums on the catalogue chart than Zeppelin.  However The
> Beatles have the most as *every* Beatles album from Help to Abbey Road is on
> the chart (and the Red and Blue collections)... WOWZA!

You're not gonna compete with the Beatles, but you're wrong about
Zeppelin.  All of their latter-day crap started out at #1.  (I think the
first four albums are decent, the middle five are somewhat weak, and Coda
is underrated.)  As far as comparing sales numbers for LZ and the Who,
I'd guess that LZ is higher (consider that LZ 4 is something like
7-platinum, while the best-selling Who album was WN at (this is from
memory, so I could be wrong) 4-platinum.)  In terms of total number of
releases, LZ has 10, while the Who, if you count only the major
compilations and G.H. reissues, have 17 releases, including stuff like
TWSMG, It's Hard, Who's Last, and Join Together, which are not major
sales contributors.  Long story short--LZ probably sold more albums.

--LP.