Re: Is Face Dances shitty?

Jeff,

Is FACE DANCES shitty? Well, for the most part, yes. It is essentially a Pete
Townshend solo album masquerading as a Who album.  Townshend was trying to
change the Who's sound, to move it away from being so guitar dominated.
However, that's not what Daltrey or Entwistle wanted (John complained about
Pete reducing the amount of his equipment during recording).  Part of the
problem with FD rests with our perceptions and expectations of Who albums--we
expect that guitar driven approach.  It's one of the things we most like
about the Who.  Also, consider that by 81 Pete was realizing that the Who
were finished. Pete's 80s writing was not going to be of the kind conducive
to Who albums.

<Pete's guitar kicked serious ass....

I always thought it was rather wimpy. Barely there.

<When's this BILL SZYMCZYK going to do
<another Who album because I'm ready to hear more from this <producer guy

Um, Jeff, Bill is never going to do another Who album because the Who don't
exist anymore. Pete quit. If they do ever reunite to do another album, I have
a feeling that Bill won't even make the first cut of potential producers. FD
sounds like an Eagles album.

--Jim