Thoughts on The Rock

Have seen very few comments on the limited Entwhistle disc here, so I thought
I would post a few to get some discussion started.

First - I knoew John didn't sing, but I didn't know he only wrote 4 songs
on the disc as well.  Sort of makes you wonder if it really is an Entwhistle
album.  His tracks are pretty good, although cliched compared with what he
has done in the past (go back and listen to his 1st 3 solo albums, which are
among the best solos released by any of the band members, including Pete,
and compare them).  Fortunately, the distinctive Ox bass sound is there
throughout the disc, but the tracks which really showcase his playing are
limited.

The tracks written by the other members are somewhat disappointing - best
compared with REO Speedwagon or Kansas as generic medium-hard rock; trite
rhyme schemes, overused subjects, etc.

I'm glad I got the disc - it is a limited collector's item and the Ox sound
is good throughout -but a musical classic it ain't.

As always - just my opinions, and nothing else...

Best - Mason