Re: JAE at Tramps 1/30/96

Had to stand back because the place was packed. It's a fabulous show --
nothing else like it. John was pretty audible. Steve was a little hard to
distinguish. Godfrey seems to play with compression and a certain effect
(chorus?) on most of the time. It makes for a wash of un-guitar-like sound.
I suppose this enhances the more dynamic drums and dynamic -- sometimes -- bass.

>Heaven & Hell
>Had Enough
>Success Story
>Trick Of the Light
>Bridges Under The Water
>The Real Me
>Love Doesn't Last

(note: `My Size' missing)
>Boris The Spider
>Life After Love

>Love Is A Heart Attack ------ cool vamp to lead into this -- seemed
spontaneous, starting with Steve's lead-in clicks and Godfrey inspiring it
>You

>Last Song ------ up `till now they closed with this number. NOW look how
they ended the set -- with crowd-pleasing Who songs. (Still yelling for solo
stuff...)
>My Wife
>Long Live Rock
>
>Encore:
>
>Summertime Blues ------ what happened to `Shakin' All Over'?
>Won't Get Fooled Again ----- they brought out their previous keyboard
player for the synthesiser parts. It was ironic that John didn't really get
a `solo' during this one -- even though it was HIS band's [as opposed to The
Who's] live version. The rest of the band seemed really excited and into it
and just kept barrelling through. (I think John was hoping to get the space
to do the stuff he did on the '89 tour.)

Although I kept rooting for solo Entwistle stuff at the shows I saw, there's
no getting around the fact that most people just want to hear `My Wife'.
Either way, it's a huge thrill to get a relatively undiluted dose of the
legend in such a real, in-your-face setting.