Entwistle in Boston....

Wow.  What can I say....great fucking show!  John and the band sounded
much, much better than at the Tramps party.  Even though they have
improved the sound tremendously, I think they still would like to refine
it a bit more; at times Godfrey couldn't really be heard, but then again
we went to hear John, and did.

I don't have the set list on me right now (someone else please post it?)
but it was similar to the last few gigs.  The highlights for me were
"You", "Success Story", "Quiet One", and especially the encoure of
"Summertime Blues" and "Shakin' All Over".  "Shakin'..." was particularly
excellent as John really got into the groove.  He went out on a long solo
which displayed his mastery of the bass.  Steve, Godfrey, and Alan were
also visibly excited during the encoure performance.  Really great.

The warmup act, despite the strange rumors, was Joni's Butterfly.  These
guys reminded me a bit of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, young and full of
energy.  They are an excellent band but unfortunately get overshadowed by
the eagerness of seeing Entwistle & Co.  One could sense the mood of
"OK...OK...you guys are really good, but when is John Entwistle coming
on?!?"...which, of course, is to be expected.

I managed to get a "guest" pass for after the show...which was really
cool.  There were about 7 or 8 of us who were told to wait in an empty
section of the upstairs club.  After a few minutes John was escorted out
by a staff member for a quick round of handshakes, autographs, and
praise.  He seemed a little rushed, they were leaving town the same
night.  I gave him a fossil sharks tooth (which I had found while living
on Chesapeake Bay....7 to 14 million years old, really) as a small gift
which he joked around with for a little while; pretended it was from his
own jaw...etc.  Anyway, prior to being swept downstairs by security I was
lucky enough to be invited into the band room...alone.  "Wow!", I thought
to myself....here I was with the band, alone.  I got to talk with John
for a bit; actually, he was telling jokes and revealing anecdotes about
he and Keith....he seemed quite happy.  Almost as happy as me.  They
finally left the venue for the trip south....I almost considered joining
them :).  What a night.  There is more to the story but I got very little
sleep last night and with the complimentary hang-over I cannot think as
clearly as I would like.  Just the bottom line:  see them if you can!

John