Re: Did you see The Who in '68?

TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Did you see The Who in '68? (fwd)
>
> In my quest to dig up information on the '68 Aussie tour I received the
> following email which I thought might be of interest:

Amazingly, I was at the exact same concert as John ("awesome" just doesn't seem enough
to describe the effect this show had on us teenagers).

To follow on from what he wrote, I'd like to add that when the finale of the show
approached Pete explained that he couldn't smash Marriot's guitar so out came his
"repaired" Strat. This was then smashed and hurled into the audience.

I can still see my mate, Les Wellstead, emerging from the pack with the neck of the
ill-fated guitar in his possession. However the Roadies or Security (I think the latter)
waited till we were filing out and in that post concert dreamy state, we were extricated
from the crowd and the souvenir inexplicably confiscated.

That episode plus the obviously staged ending did diminish their hero status to me. But
not enough to prevent them still enjoying by far the largest presence in my record
collection to this day.

John Moon thank you for retelling your memories.

Ian Clothier.