More old WHO newsletters

This is only the second in a possible long series of reprints of the
newsletters put out by The Who Official Fan Club of England from 1966 to
1970.

JULY/AUGUST NEWSLETTER 1966
Hi!
Do you want the Who to be voted number one group in the Melody Maker 1966
Pop Poll? You do? Then fill in the entry form enclosed with this
newsletter, or buy a copy of Melody Maker and fill in the form. Fill in the
form as follows. Vote for the Who in the group section. Roger Daltrey in
the male singer section, and Pete, John or Keith in the best musician
section. Vote "Substitute" as the best vocal disc. I personally voted for
the Hamilton Movement as the brightest hope as I think they have a knockout
sound as well as being good looking boys. It would be fantastic to see them
voted the brightest hope for 1966...Please don't let me down, send in your
votes. Actually, Chris Stamp told me I will get the boot if the Who are
noted voted number one group. He was only kidding,though (I hope)...Another
thing - Chris was very annoyed when the Yardbirds won Battle of the Giants
contest on Radio Luxumburg recently. The Who naturally should have won.
SPECIAL THANKS
Recently in the Record Mirror they did a feature on fan clubs being a
racket. I was dead chuffed to find letters from members of the Who fan club
praising my efforts as a fan club secretary. Thank you Chrissie and Monika
Allen, Paula Narayan and Christine Stevens. I will remember you in my
will!!
USA
I still have no definite news about the Who visiting the States. At
present, the big obstacle is work permits which are rather difficult to
obtain. However, once they come through the boys will be over there like a
shot. That could possible be within the next few weeks.
PETE'S BIRTHDAY
Pete's birthday certainly wasn't forgotten. He received stacks of cards and
presents. Ties, a bottle of Brandy, a Ronson table lighter, chocolates and
cakes galore... You may have read in Disc that Pete had a loan of the
birthday present money I had for him and used it to have his car taken away
when it broke down in Victoria. When I got it back(weeks later) I bought
him a gold lighter. I did consider getting him a real mink nose cosy but I
don't think he would have appreciated it!!
COMPETITION
The prize in this month's competition is a day in London with John
Entwistle. Train or bus fare will not be paid therefore it's best to start
saving if you enter the competition. Now for some gen on how to enter.
Write a short story on why you would like to meet John. John will
personally choose the winner, so good luck to all of you.
SWEDISH TRIP
The boys tour of Scandanavia must surely be the most successful tour they
have ever undertaken. In Stockholm over 15,000 fans stood in pouring rain
to watch the Who perform at an outdoor concert. Keith, John, Pete and Roger
would like to thank all you Scandanavian folk for your marvellous support
and look forward to their next trip to your country.
ODDS AND ENDS
The Who t-shirts have been selling like hot cakes. I still have some small
and medium ones left, but no large sizes. They cost 12/6 including postage.
Who badges shaped like a shield. The cost 1/6 each...I still have dozens of
programmes from the Who/Spencer Davis left, so if you send me a 6d stamp
for postage I will give them free.
TAIL PIECES
John now has the only stereophonic bass guitar in England - Keith and John
now have a 1950 R Type Bentley - Roger has most of his clothes made at
"Hung On You" in Chelsea - Pete had a jacket made from Irish flags for
their tour of Irland - American fan Debbie Clark sent Keith a surfer's
cross which he always wears. Recently,she had the honour of speaking to
Keith on the phone when she called him from the USA - Roger is planning on
buying a house boat - all the Fruit Eating Bears have bought Who t-shirts
but so far only drummer Kenny Mundey has ventured to wear one onstage -
Beach Boy Bruce Johnston now big buddies with Keith after his recent visit
to London - Roadmanager Neville bought a guitar in Ireland which he has
since sold to Roger- Pete has a fountain in the middle of his lounge -
Roger receives more mail from Yugoslavia than any other country in the
world - At present "Substitute" is no 8 in Australia, 6 in South Africa and
2 in Holland - welcome new honourary members Paul Revere and the Raiders.
Pete is a big fan of this group and recently bought some imported albums of
theirs - In Sweden, John put his bass through his amp in Pete style---AMEN.
...Bye, Deirdre

More to follow in a couple months...Dennis(1996)