Pete and Reality-Hitting

Amira, Jennifer D., re:

>>[in reference to QUADROPHENIA] Just like Pete not to flinch >>from reality
but hit it head on.

>Yeah, with a sledgehammer!

Um, ladies, let's be sure we don't forget that Pete spent a lot of time in
his professional career either: a) drunk and/or b) stoned.  Pete's own
admissions are that he had some problems facing up to reality and that he hid
from these problems behind alcohol and drugs (NOTE:  my comments should NOT
be taken as a denial that some of Pete's best music has come from his drug
experiences).  Perhaps through a character such as Jimmy, Pete attempts to
face up to reality, but on his own, Pete has dedicated a good portion of his
time and money to NOT "hitting reality head on."  While I love Pete's work, I
have a hard time with giving Pete more credit than he is due.  He is just a
man, after all