Re: alt.music.thewho

Bdobd, Re:

> Allright, I know not every provider has Usenet access but geez this mail list
> has got to go.

Hm, I prefer the mailing list to any newsgroup for two reasons:

   1.  Its technology is the simplest possible one.

   This means, you don't have to worry about any technical problems when
   reading articles on a mailing list - you can do so even on some good old
   text-only monitor if necessary.  Therefore the list can reach a much wider
   audience than a newsgroup, which is a good thing because being a Who fan
   doesn't have much to do with being technologically 150% up-to-date.

   If you have a bad Usenet connection, messages often reach you days after
   they have been written, sometimes censored at some link inbetween, sometimes
   getting lost who knows where.  E-mail, however, comes as it is written and
   reaches you almost at once (unless some name servers happen to be down).

   2.  It is a closed forum.

   Everyone on the list has some strong affiliation with The Who, regardless
   whether being a new or a veteran fan, a lurker or a frequent writer.  Thus
   it is less likely that someone posts a stupid question or a meaningless
   comment without really caring about responses.

   In a newsgroup, you speak to the general public, whereas on the list, you
   address a specific Who fan club.  This makes conversation more personal and
   more familiar, which is a good thing IMHO.  Up to now, I haven't made any
   friends on a newsgroup, but I have found a lot of friends here.

So, I vote for the mailing list.

BTW, last time I checked newsgroups, I only noticed alt.music.who.  Is this
alt.music.thewho a new group?

Cheers,

Bernd