Allmans Back Cover/Stage (no Who content)

>>I was a roadie.
>
>Mark,
>That you on the back cover of "At Fillmore East"?

Chris:

No! Ha ha ha! I'll have to look at that picture again.
I was a lowly roadie working for the promotor, not the band. I hauled amps
and speakers, for the most part. I worked the August Jam in 1974 (eastern
version of the California Jam, for those who remember that one) where the
Allmans and ELP co-headed the bill. I was "picked up" by ELP there and
worked for them for the next 3 weeks before realizing that I wasn't getting
any A) money B) food C) sleep D) money. If I had stuck, I would have been AT
the California Jam, but alas...I missed my chance at being a part of Rock
history. We were nowhere near the band 90% of the time, and I can only claim
to have almost met Keith Emerson once...he acknowledged my existance, let's
put it that way. I, not wanting to fawn all over him, left it at that. Lots
of other perks, like the women and drugs, but...overall, it wasn't THE dream
job as one might imagine.
A quick story: 3/4 through their set, Gregg A. passed out and was carried
from the stage. The band carried on with a loooonnng drum solo...so long
that diehard fans were leaving the place. After about 30 minutes of trying
to wake him, they were finally successful and he returned to the stage,
bleary. As was the rest of the set. I was backstage there, and watched as
they tried to wake him. Too much alcohol, as their personal little AB cups
all reeked of whiskey. A shame...

                   Cheers                   ML

"For three generations, Pepsi has trying to make people to believe it's `The
Pepsi Generation.' This is the first one dumb enough to believe it."
                                                                    Unknown