Re: the Who and Yes

- -- [ From: . * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

//You can't be serious.  The Who live with Keith Moon was a bunch of
instruments that often sound very loosely connected, i.e., a drummer with
little sense of timekeeping, a bassist who wanted to be the lead instrument
but often had to keep the tempo, a guitarist who shifted from rhythm to lead
... There are Who songs that "fit together" in terms of your
definition/description and most of them are studio productions (that is, if
we limit ourselves to the Moon-era Who).  Undeniably, there are multi-
instrument solos within many great Yes songs ("popular" and "Yes songs" tend
to be oxymoronic, don't you think?).  That was Yes's attempt to go beyond
the standard rock forumla.\\

I saw Yes with my wife once. She thought JA was "cute" the way he was
bouncing about the stage like some kind of fairy. He even had fairy-like
clothing. Hell, he even SOUNDED like a fairy. Is it rock or is it Disney? CS
, although his bass playing was acceptable, acted like a male version of
Stevie Nicks on the stage. It was slightly embarrassing to look at. RW did
what he did. Keyboard technicians bore me. The guitar player and the noise
he created was irritating. The drummer was great, and it seemed like he was
the one keeping everything from crashing.

The Who were like an enraged machine compared with Yes's twinkle show. I'll
put it in gardening terms: Yes was like a sprinkler, a little electric weed
wacker and a tiny ballerina prancing about the lawn. The Who was like a John
Deere, sucking up, violently destroying and spitting out anything in it's
way, in the process making one hell of a lot of noise.

Jon
- --