Re: OPENING ACT IN NYC

>On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Mark Leaman wrote:

Just for the record, I did NOT write the following:

>> >Good one! I used to be a Who-only fan, too. Only because of Kenney Jones did
>> >I ever venture out into the Small/Faces/Rod Stewart world. I don't know Bob
>> >Mould's solo stuff, but I disliked Husker Du. No musicianship, but lots of
>> >fan adoration. Why?

I've been a Husker Du fan since the release of FLIP YOUR WIG, 1985 (on the
SST label...an Indy, before the band "made it."). I never disliked HD from
day one. I was a Rock music fan since before The Who became my favorite band
(that was in 1970), and heard Faces after hearing Stewart with Beck and even
the Ansley Dunbar Retaliation (predates the Stewart/Beck). Or for that
matter, I heard Faces when they had Steve Marriot (Small Faces) first.
As for Mould, I lost track of him until a friend got a copy of Sugar's FILE
UNDER EASY LISTENING and asked me to play it. I was reluctant, and had
visions of The Archies whirling in my head. You know, "Honey/Ah...Sugar
Sugar." I mean, I have a large music collection which includes Jazz and
(so-called) World Music and Rock from Elvis Presley to Elvis Costello all
the way up to Rancid and Dandelion, but there's NOTHING in it that would be
"filed under Easy Listening."
Then he told me that the leader was "a guy called Bob Mould, who was in some
band called Husker Du." I grinned, pulled out my HD CDs and LPs and
boots...and a pleasant time was had by all as we turned each other on to new
music.

>Mark is right to cite as laudable points Husker Du's sense abandonment and
>raw power.  I would add to that list of positive points the band's
>splendid fucking SONGS.

This much I will agree with...I'd be a fool not to. But a suggestion to the
neophyte Du/Sugar/Mould listener would be a song called If I Can't Change
Your Mind (which I'd bet big he will play). It's on the Sugar CD COPPER
BLUE. I feel confident that you will be hooked after that. It's also on
BESIDES, in addition to the best Who cover I've heard to date: Armenia, City
In The Sky (a powerful Punk, live version replete with feedback). My thanks
to Tom Farrell Jr, sometime contributer to the Digest, for that one.
Fantastic and not to be missed. If those of you who are making it to PT are
treated to Mould's version or ACITS, you will indeed be blessed. I hate your
guts in advance.

                   Cheers                   ML