Re: Bootlegs

Levelor, re:

>The thing that's long bothered me about this is that I can't see how
bootlegs take away from record companies' business.

I'm not Joe Falcone, but... the concern over "bootlegging" comes from several
different areas:

1) The record company isn't making money on the bootleg sales of their
contracted artist.
2) The fear of "piracy" (a "pirate" record/cd is an exact dupe made to look
like an original).
3) Certain artists object to the sales of "non-approved", potentially
embarrassing material.
4) The dimwitted view held by record companies that there are only "limited"
funds held by fans and therefore they must "budget" their spending
accordingly. Therefore, if someone spends $20 for a boot, they may not spend
the $12 for a legit release. After reading some of the moronic discussions of
"should I spend $1.99 for..." they may be right! (Scary thought!)

Bootleg benefits:

1) Creating a continued interest in a band, while they are not recording or
have nothing "new".
2) Offering fans of a band more material for them to enjoy...

Personally, I think both the artists and the record companies are stupid (for
many reasons). They should give the fans what they want and charge them
accordingly... However, that ain't ever gonna happen...

So... there you have it...

-wf