A Morrissete

All this unified negativity irks me...

I for one am glad that Alanis is performing at the Quad performance.
She's got the popularity, sure, and there's nothing wrong with that.
After all this is a concert to raise charity money, not to assuage our
own primitive desires to go back in time and see the Who in their
prime.  But she's also got the vocal range, she's got the vocal
volume, and mostly she's got the EMOTION.  There's a certain vocal
range required in terms of tone and such to get the idea of character
and plot across, rather than just another pop song with no context.  I
like Bob Dylan a lot, but I can't imagine him singing a single song
Pete Townshend has ever done without butchering it.

The only downside is, from what I've seen/heard, AM isn't so hot live.
I also hope she doesn't pull a Linda Perry.  I get the impression that
members of this list would be dissatisfied with anyone who is both
popular and born after 1970.

I can't seriously believe anyone could compare AM to Debbie Gibson.

--
- Brad Goldman
 (Brad@jimmy.harvard.edu)