odds & sods

From: "Jennifer L. Davies" :

The Who and its members are now "Old" (over thirty).  Most young
people don't listen to the "Old" groups/artists, because being old isn't
"hip" or "cool".
I'm 16, and I've felt that way before.  There is hope, you know - I mean,
this list is here...
<<<

Oh, God...  it's finally happening.  I turn 35 in a week and I'll be a
"desperate old fart"
(but not BORING...)

From: mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman):

As far as I know, they did BOTB only at Dallas. Does anyone know of
another
locale they performed it in `89?
<<<

Yep.  Tacoma.  It was sans Townshend, however, as he had impaled himself
on his whammy bar moments before.

From: DANwhoIEL@aol.com

If they're going to do Quadrophenia justice, they would keep the celebs
in
the audience, forget to invite the backing vocalists and musicians, hire
competent drummer...and play loud.  This unfortunately would be a
difficult
task, given Pete's hearing and the slowly deteriorating qualities of
their
vocals...
<<<

All the more reason to try different arrangements/interpretations.  Don't
get me wrong - we'd all love to hear Quad performed by the guys who
recorded it, but one of those guys is gone and the others aren't able to
sing that way anymore.  At least one, however, plays just as well (if not
better).

From: Praveen Reddy <reddyp@lafcol.lafayette.edu>

Alanis Morrisette???!!!  How could you have such a pathetic fraud artist
like Alanis in the same country as TW never mind the same bill??!!!
This is absolutely ridiculous!  How does everyone else feel?!
<<<

I would have to agree.  I give her two, maybe three albums, then it's
Bargain Bin time...

From: Jeff Fleischer <jfleisch@indiana.edu>

Hey, I'm the world's only 18 year old Who fan
<<<

Nope.  I was a Who fan when I was 18.  'Course that was 17 years ago,
when it was much easier to do *everything...*   :)

From: Lev Polinsky <polinsky@husc.harvard.edu>

Also, I'm struck by how rather good FZ's drummers tended to be.
<<<

As well as all the other musicians he surrounded himself with.  His
standards were legendary, not only for his band(s), but himself as well.

OK,
KLW