John's Bass & Indigo Girls

Rich B.,

In terms of John playing an acoustic or upright bass, I would point out that
he played a six string acoustic bass at the Carnegie DST shows for "Behind
Blue Eyes" with Roger and the Chieftens.  Actually, one of the best parts of
the show, which unfortunately they cut out of the broadcast, was an acoustic
bass solo that wouldn't quit.  Twice, I think, Roger tried to come in witht
the next verse, but John just kept cranking it out.  Aside from the cool
solo, the look exchanged between the two of them was priceless.

Athena,

While I agree that The Who are hands down, the best ever (for reasons I
needn't elucidate in present company), in defense of your young friend, I'll
toss in my two cents as saying that the Indigo Girls are extraordinarily
talented and worthy of respect.  Emily is IMHO, the most talented of all
writers this side of PT.  As for Amy, her energy and passion are the real
thing, and in my mind rather reminiscent of The Who.  (BTW, Amy is a big PT
fan.)  They rank second on my personal all-time list (albeit a distant second
behind you know WHO).

P.S.  Tell your friend that as someone who has seen IG almost 20 times, in
NY, DC, CO, NorCal, and SoCal, that I suggest that she check out The Who and
especially Pete's solo stuff.