Re: Boots and buying in NYC

In a message dated 96-04-22 22:55:23 EDT, CUSA7814@splava.cc.plattsburgh.edu
writes:

>	I'm not Ed Koch but... can anyone recomend the best Who boots out
>there?  Also does anyone know of any good stores in NYC to buy the boots?

Hi Rob...I'm not WFang, but I'd like to give you a couple of suggestions.  A
friend of mine played "From Lifehouse to Leeds" for me last night for the
very first time, and I was completely blown away.  It has alternate versions
of a lot of the songs from "Who's Next," some of which I like better than the
ones that made it onto the album.  Apart from this gem, I very much like
"Pete Townsend: Quadrophenia Demos (sic)" although my Who-freak/collector
friend says I should have gotten the "Punk Meets the Godfather" boot instead.
 Another one of my favorites is "The Who: The Tommy Demos," but you have to
be careful not to get the one in the cardboard packaging because, according
to my friend, it's not as good quality as the one in the jewel box.

I hope Fang and others will respond to your question, too.  I'd be very
interested to hear what everyone's favorite boots are.

With regard to your question about record stores in NYC, you'll find a nice
array of Who (and other) bootlegs at a store called Generations on Thompson
St. between Bleecker and West 3rd.  On the very next block, Sullivan St., is
a store called Second Coming which seems to have better prices and an
infinitely nicer sales staff.  Other stores that spring to mind are Rebel
Rebel on Bleecker St., Record Runner on Jones St., Revolver on West 8th St.,
and 3 stores--Sounds, Venus, and Kim's--on St. Mark's Place.

I hope this helps.  Happy hunting!

Lisa Grand

P.S. As you may have guessed, I'm partial to hearing Pete sing his own songs.
 (Sorry to have to disagree with you on this one, Amira!)  Needless to say,
I'm beyond ecstatic about the upcoming Pete shows at the Supper Club, and I'm
already regretting the decision not to go out to the West Coast.  I can only
hope that someone videotapes all the shows for posterity.