Re: Who movie

> Noel Gallagher doesn't
>have the talent to write the narratives Albarn writes that definately
>evoke the Ray Davies comparison.  Blur has shown that they have that
>talent of being the thief in the smart sense that The Who and Kinks
>demonstrated early in their career.  When Oasis has to drop a song from
>their new album because it's too close to an early 70's Stevie Wonder
>song, you just don't grasp the concept of writing good rock/pop music.

Ian:

The Beatles sound in Oasis lies only in that they lean toward Pop (so do a
lot of bands, though, like XTC) and the vocalist's voice (now he can hardly
help that, can he?). The Knack sounded much more like The Beatles, as did
Klaatu. When I say Oasis sounds like The Kinks (and I agree that the
songwriting isn't up to that standard), I mean the music itself. The Kinks
did a fair amount of Pop too.
Anyway, that's what I hear when I play them. I have no idea about a song
that was dropped. I have only heard the two CDs WHAT'S THE STORY (MORNING
GLORY) and DEFINITELY MAYBE. From that, I can't imagine them doing a
Wonder-sounding song.
As for talent...look at where Davies was this early in his career. The first
Kinks albums were 90% RnB/Blues filler until FACE TO FACE, their fifth album
(sixth in the US). Let's see what happens to Oasis by then.
I would still say that the first band that popped into my mind upon hearing
Blur was Squeeze. Lyrically and musically. I was also reminded of The
Fabulous Poodles a bit. Now there's a band I miss...

>> I'm listening to Paul Weller's WILD WOOD at the moment. Nothing like The
>> Jam, but not too much like The Style Council (at least, what I've heard)
either.

>Is that the album with "Start!"?  George Harrison could've earned back
>every cent he lost for "My Sweet Lord".   He could've played the
>"Taxman".  (hint)

Start is on SOUND AFFECTS by The Jam (their 5th album). Yes, the Taxman
comparison was made even when it came out (1980). Given the definite (and
acknowledged) influence of The Who on The Jam, it makes a stronger case for
the Who influence on The Beatles, doesn't it?
WILD WOOD sounds more like Widespread Panic than it does The Jam. An
interesting album which I didn't know existed. Very acoustic; very complex
(and very good). I never liked Style Council (as much as I do like The Jam),
and it's nice to know he didn't get stuck with that sound forever.

                   Cheers                   ML