Re: Dick Dale

>Dale.  Duane Eddy was another guitarist who played in that vein, and I
>believe I've seen somewhere where Pete cited Eddy as an influence...

I don't know about Pete. John definitely liked Duane Eddy. I was listening
to the soundtrack version of 5:15 and it occurred to me that Townshend's
power chording was influenced by John's horn playing. The thing about power
chords is that it's characterized not only by the way the chords are
slashed. It's also in the timing. He often hits those chords at the same
time (in a given measure) that a horn blast would come, kinda `pushing' the
song along.