No Subject

 demonstrated a variety of creative talents
(thankfully, the PROcreative ones have usually been kept private), so I
thought of another endeavor that some Who fans might enjoy taking part in:
 Trying to top one another with the biggest Who-related lie they can concoct.
 This idea occurred to me when seeing people debate the Quad In Hyde Park
story:  Was it merely and April Fools Prank?

I'm a well-behaved Catholic, so telling falsehoods isn't something I'm good
at, but I'll take a stab, by offering a press item that we'll never see in a
legitimate newspaper:

                         MCA TO RUN TV ADS PROMOTING THE WHO

     Universal City, CA--MCA Records Inc. today announced an ambitious plan
to use television commercials to promote one of the label's major rock and
roll acts, The Who.

     The plan will enlist non-musical celebrities like Michael Jordan and
Cindy Crawford to promote the band's recordings in 30-second commercials to
be broadcast during various programs, including this year's entertainment
awards shows and all professional sports championship games.

     "Critics often rank The Who with other legendary bands like The Beatles
and The Rolling Stones, but I must admit that we've marketed The Who like
they were a group of chanting monks," confessed MCA representative Silas
Stingy.

     "But that's all going to change in a dramatic way, now that over two
decades of pressure by Who fans and music fans in general has finally opened
our eyes to the errors of our ways," Stingy said.

     At a press conference, MCA showed snippets from some of its upcoming
commercials.  Jordan's will open with the famous basketball player saying,
"Believe it or not, there was a time in my life when people who heard my name
would say, 'Michael WHO'?"  Stewart's will open with the Star Trek actor
uttering the words, "Grace; Space; Race--The Final Frontier," but most
reporters in attendance failed to understand what this was supposed to mean.

     Crawford's raised the most eyebrows at the press conference because of
the person she apparently takes a swipe at when she was shown saying, "To
hell with Richard Gere--I was never more turned on then when hearing the Top
Gear jingle on the expanded Who Sells Out CD!"

     When asked what other Who albums the ads would be reissued and promoted,
MCA executives said that this decision would be left in the hands of fans who
had returned a postcard that was inserted in the band's 1994 boxed set.

     As a gesture of the company's sincerity, Stingy released a letter that
formally apologizes to The Who and the group's fans for the 1968 release of
an LP misleadingly titled 'Magic Bus-The Who On Tour.'