Re: JFK: the edible president (no Who content)

hiwatt, Re:

>    I have read that the phrase "Ich bin Berliner" means "I am a citizen of
> Berlin", while "Ich bin ein Berliner" means "I am a jelly doughnut".

Well, you are partially right.  The truth is like this:  "Ich bin Berliner"
can only mean "I am a citizen of Berlin", whereas "Ich bin ein Berliner" can
mean both.  If you want to say that you are from Berlin, then "Ich bin
Berliner" is a formal and neutral way of doing so, whereas the article "ein" in
"Ich bin ein Berliner" emphasizes the word "Berliner" and makes the sentence an
emotional and popular one:  "I am one of you, Berliners!"

> From the way the people of Berlin cheered the president's speech, I assume
> they overlooked his slight imperfection.

I am sure that 99.9% of the audience didn't even think of doughnuts in the
context of JFK's speech.

I hope this helps.

Bernd