Re: tipper girl (no Who content)

Mark, re:

>>> ... I wasn't happy about the redone WE'RE ONLY IN IT etc. I think the new
drums and bass are too up front (or they just overpower the other instruments,
at least) and take away from the "feel" of the original. True, it was Frank
himself that did it...but even a genius can't be right all of the time.

    Just thought I would clarify why new bass and drums were recorded for that
release in the first place.
    What happened was that Verve records did such a poor job storing the
mastertapes that for "WOIIFTM" and "Crusin' with Ruben & the Jets", the Oxide
particles for the bass & drum tracks were literally falling off the tapes.
Zappa had to transfer the existing tracks to new tape, and had bass/drums
re-recorded.  I would have preferred the newly recorded parts were more
"faithful" to the old, original parts, but that is NOT a problem anymore,
because the LATEST release of "We're Only In It for the Money" has been
mastered from a 2-track copy that was found sitting around, so now you can
enjoy "Mother People" the way it is supposed to sound (unfortunately, it is
the "cleaned-up" version, but that's ok for me; I'm used to that one, anyway!)

                Anyway, there you go!

                gary m.