Re: Selbtdarstellung, et al

NP:  "In Munchen staat, ein Hofbrau haus, ein, zwei..."

Bernd!
	Guten Tag, Bernd!  Excuse me for shouting, but I'm here guzzling beer
being served by busty Tuetonic Girl Guides in those groovy peasant
skirts, and with the additional of those knee-slappin' fellows in
lederhosen, this place is really rockin'!  You Deutschlanders sure know
how to party!  ;-)

	RE:> "Selbst"

	<sigh of resignation>  OK, OK, I spelled it wrong.  Slap me across the
face with a cold wienerschnitzel.

	RE:> Sorry, both of your suggestions miss the point.  Actually,
> "Selbstdarstellung" is one of those famous German words you cannot
> translate without writing at least one paragraph.  (None of the "self-
"
> words in Webster's fits here.)>
> "Selbstdarstellung" literally means `representation of one's self'.

	The denotative nuances notwithstanding, after I posted that last note,
I thought "self-declaration" was a better definition then the ones I
cited.  I understand that Selbstdarstellung has much more to its
meaning than a cryptic one word (hyphenated) definition.... but the
cryptic definitions are easier to type.  ;-)
	Your definition and explanation of Selbstdarstellung were excellent,
however, and I'm pleased to learn that Pete's exacting lyrical
standards extend to German as well as English.

	RE:> Pronounciation hint:  Pete says "s-tellung" like in North German
dialects.>  The correct pronounciation is "sh-tellung".  (But: "Selbs-
t".)

	Well, I guess this means Pete is a Hamburger and not a Frankfurter.

	Oh, while I'm on the topic of German city/state/foods, when John F
Kennedy stood at the Berlin Wall and said, "Ich bin ein Berliner" what
did that mean?  I've been told that it means either "I am a Chocolate
Eclair," and/or "I am a sausage."
	In either case, it was brilliant bit of foreign policy strategy which
sent the communists into a panic for months.  After all, how do you
defeat a country whose President thinks he's a cream filled pastry (or
kielbasa...)?

	Thanks for the help, mein Herr.  Auf Wiedersehen.

	Every good wish--Tom Farrell