QUAD Live

     ^^Contrary to the beginning and the final section of the shows, the
     ^^audiences were mostly left unmoved by the Quadrophenia songs.
     ^^American audiences proved to be unable to understand the allusions
     ^^to the early sixties problems in England.

     That's not exactly the way I remember it from seeing it in Atlanta in
     1973.  The Quadrophenia material, as opposed to the other songs, was,
     well, different.  It struck me and everyone else I talked to at the
     time as a large and imposing work.  Powerfully moving, but more
     somthing you sat and respected than one you stood up and cheered
     about. I think this response was mistaken by The Who for lack of
     enthusiasm, which it wasn't.  As an American, I have no problem with
     Quadrophenia which seems to have much more to do with your average
     teenager than Tommy does.